Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Nel Cielo E Nelle Altre Cose Mutue (1978)


Album: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - ... Di Terra (1978)
Song: Nel Cielo E Nelle Altre Cose Mutue

Every time we have a heavy snowfall (which is not often in the North West). I have this song loaded up and ready to go on my mp3 player. For some context, the first time I had ever driven in heavy snow, this song was playing, and perfectly captured my sense of danger and cautious wonderment. This was the kind of snow that was so so deep that everything just looked white. No road was visible, and all the cars were going under 20 km/h. Even at those speeds, any sudden acceleration and you were seeing cars spinning left and right.

This song starts out quite ominous and even scary sounding. It perfectly captured my apprehension having initially slid as soon as I pressed on the gas. But in no time, these wood winds and this brass open up so warmly it almost tells the story of the sun rising over my dark snowy town. It went from dark blue to light blue to white all during the course of this one song. At least, that's what it felt like. As the timpani start to swell my confidence continued to amplify, until I could only feel the sense the joy in the action of driving in crazy snow. I am sure I had a big ol' smile on my face. Other drivers must have thought I was nuts.

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso is one of the most prominent Italian prog bands, with an absolutely massive library of great albums. These guys were the top of the heap. With a library that large, this became another good example of a file I had to copy in to the Anomaly folder, for fear of forgetting it. Even to this day I can not tell you the name of this song even though I am looking right at it. No, the only way to remember this song was to put it in the Anomaly folder, and here I am, probably 9 years later, still enjoying the majesty of this song. I could have picked a better song of theirs to first expose people to them, but this song and I shared an experience that I thought would perhaps be fun to read. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment